Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Marriage and Equality Panel (featuring Melissa Harris-Perry)
Friday, December 7, 2012 from 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM
New York, NY
A full video of this panel is available on the New School YouTube channel: http://youtu.be/BnFR4kpDYUE
Can marriage be reimagined? As much of the LGBTQ community fights for the legal right to be married, some argue this doesn't go far enough. A new legal definition of marriage benefits some who were formerly excluded, but leaves other family and partnership units behind.
In this free, public forum, marriage and equality are treated as separate but related constructs. Our diverse panel will explore the functions and identities of marriage, from an expression of attachment and affection to a powerful social institution.
This panel springboards from a conversation which took place on the Melissa Harris-Perry show in June 2012. Click here for the original interview between Dr. Harris-Perry, Liz Margolies, and Liz's fiancé Scout, about the couples' engagement at the White House Pride Reception.
- Melissa Harris-Perry, Ph.D., Tulane University political science professor and MSNBC opinion show host. http://melissaharrisperry.com/
- Kenyon Farrow, activist, writer, Communications Director for The Praxis Project and the former Executive Director of Queers for Economic Justice. http://kenyonfarrow.com/
- Liz Margolies, LCSW, activist, National LGBT Cancer Network founder, and newly-engaged psychotherapist.
- Deva Woodly, Ph.D., political science professor at the New School for Social Research
- Lisa Rubin, Ph.D., psychology professor at the New School for Social Research
When & Where
The New School
The New School University Student Senate; Lang Student Union; the Gender Studies program at the New School; the Clinical Psychology Program at the New School for Social Research; the American Psychological Association Society for the Psychology of Women (Division 35).